"Serenity" tops annual boat name list
The Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) issued its annual list of the Top Ten Boat Names today, a tradition dating back a quarter decade. The most popular boat names for 2017 (and their meanings) are:
- Serenity: The utter calm and quiet that boating brings.
- Seas the Day: A nautical wordplay on the Latin saying “Carpe diem,” taking boating to its fullest.
- Andiamo: “Let’s go!” in Italian, and a perennial favorite boat name.
- Irish Wake: Mourning and merrymaking after the death of a family member or friend.
- Freedom: Patriotic name that first appeared on the Top 10 Names List in 2004.
- Adagio: Italian for “at a slow tempo.” Represents how boating reduces stress in our hectic lives.
- Ohana: From the Hawaiian culture, meaning “family” in an extended sense.
- Oasis: A fertile spot in a desert where water is found; symbolizes boating’s ability to refresh and nourish our daily lives.
- Happy Ours: A playful take on the good feeling you get at the afternoon communal cocktail time.
- Firefly: Making the list for the first time, it’s thought that the kids picked this one.
For a look at all of the BoatUS Top 10 Boat Names lists over the years as well as a directory of over 9,000 boat names, go to BoatUS.com/boatnames.